Tuesday 30 June 2009

Happiness

I've always loved the utter lark : perceived synchronicity of opening books to pages and reading whatever the page gifts me. Today, I opened "Book of Quotations" randomly, and quite un-randomly (at least I think so) the book opened to Happiness quotes. And while I was perturbed that the only quote on the page which came from a woman spoke typically of suffering for happiness ... I was drawn to the words of 17th century French writer, Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld from his work, Reflections, or Sentences and Moral Maxims 1665:





"We are more interested in making others believe we are happy
than in trying to be happy ourselves."


"We are never so happy, nor so unhappy, as we think we are."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post!